DIY water damage restoration

diy

We all know how annoying and potentially dangerous water damage can be. You shouldn’t waste a moment when you spot the early signs of mold, mildew or leaks. However, there are a few things you can do yourself to prevent your basement from becoming a pool or your walls saturated with water stains. It is not only to prevent problems with the esthetics and the structure of your home but to ensure that you do not have trouble with your insurance company. Most of the insurance policies do not cover damages which are a result of a  lack of maintenance.

Safety first

safety

Number one step to take when dealing with potential water damage is to think about safety. And every clean up starts with preparation and the right gear. Because mildew and mold can contain dangerous and harmful bacteria, you should prepare yourself with the appropriate protective gear like gloves, footwear, masks and eye protection.

Dispose of damaged things

Most of us keep unnecessary, but also some very valuable items in our basements. If your basement gets flooded, your items will be exposed to water. A job you can do yourself and save a few bucks that way is to get all the damaged items out of the basement. Put on a pair of gloves and rubber boots and get to work. It will leave more money in your pocket for the repair guys.

Remove the water and make sure your basement dries

Ok, you got your stuff out the basement. Another thing you can do is to remove any of the water still stuck in there. Get a hose and a vacuum pump and pump away. Of course, if the amount of water is too great, call up the professionals.

Time for a clean-up

Once you got everything out and you got your basement nice and dry, it is time for the big cleaning mission. Get yourself a good disinfectant and some warm water and start scrubbing away. Bleach is also fine, but there are a couple of eco-friendly products we always recommend because bleach can be aggressive and potentially harmful.Finally, let some air inside. Fresh air will enable the drying process and remove remnants of moisture, hindering any bacterial growth. A professional dehumidifier might be unavailable or too expensive, but a simple fan or two will help greatly.

William Roesler

scriptsell.neteDataStyle - Best Wordpress Services